If your first response is PANIC at the thought of writing a paper, The Inkwell is here to help.
OR if writing is your “thing” and you just want a second pair of eyes to help you polish your paper, The Inkwell is the place for you.
What IS The Inkwell?
- The Inkwell is a place where writers can take any kind of writing and receive encouraging and helpful feedback from peer writing consultants. These consultants are trained to work with writers of all levels, from beginners to advanced, and to help with every stage of the writing process, from pre-writing to editing.
- Our goal is not necessarily to make your paper better, but to make YOU a better writer. After all, when you become a better writer, all of your papers will be better!
- Our tutors won’t write your papers for you— they will show you strategies for writing more effectively. Will you immediately receive A’s? Not always. But the good news is that, eventually, you’ll be able to articulate your thoughts on paper with more clarity, grace, and style. When you make a tutoring appointment, you should expect to participate in the session.
- Our own research shows that IWU students experienced a statistically significant improvement in their writing when they visited The Inkwell.
How can I make an appointment?
Simply go to http://mywco.com/theinkwell
How long do appointments last?
Typically, they are 30 minutes, but unless The Inkwell is VERY busy, you can make two back-to-back 30 minute appointments for an hour appointment.
What happens if I can’t make it to my appointment?
You can always cancel your appointment by going to The Inkwell website, clicking the appointment you made, and clicking “CANCEL THIS APPOINTMENT.” If you miss your appointment without cancelling it, the system will lock you out, and you will need to visit The Inkwell administrative assistant to unlock your account.
Does The Inkwell take walk-ins?
Yes, it does. As long as an appointment is not scheduled while a tutor is working, walk-ins are more than welcome.
Will my professor know that I went to The Inkwell?
Yes, tutors e-mail reports to your professors to let them know what you covered during your visit to The Inkwell. This is helpful because most professors are happy that you have taken the initiative to improve your writing for their class.
Elder Hall, Room 222
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. – 9:30 p. m.
Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p. m.
Saturday: 12 p.m. – 5 p. m.
The Inkwell seeks to develop students in scholarship by providing them with strategies to enhance their academic experience and equip them to be successful in their vocations.
Two are better than one . . . if one falls down, his friend can help him up. ~Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
When you visit, you can expect us to:
- Help you find weaknesses in your writing and look for ways to improve these.
- Help you look for strong organization, purpose, and focus in your writing.
- Help you brainstorm a topic or learn to research and document sources.
- Teach you how to correct your own errors.
- Help you through the entire writing process.
- Concentrate on you, the writer, and not your writing.
When you visit, we will NOT:
- Edit your paper for errors or fix your errors for you.
- Pick a topic and write a thesis for you.
- Write your paper for you.
- Concentrate on your paper and not you, the writer.
When you visit, you should bring:
- A pen or a pencil
- Your paper and topic ideas
- The assignment
- Research you have done
- Drafts or pre-writing
- Your questions
- An open mind
TIPS for making the most of your time at The Inkwell:
- Plan ahead—come early in your writing projects and come back often to revise your work.
- Think beforehand—bring a rough agenda of what you want to cover with your tutor so that you will get the most out of your appointment.
- Speak up—we appreciate your input and opinions of your writing conferences, so tell us how we are doing.